“An image is worth a thousand words” is an old saying that highlights the true power that can be hidden in a piece of graphic. It’s something that I totally agree with, but what happens if we combine images and turn them into an animated video? Do we actually multiply the power of our communication outreach? As you might have already guessed, this time we will be addressing explainer videos. We have already touched upon this topic but let’s dive deeper into understanding what they are and how they work.
What is an Explainer Video?
Since the beginning of humanity, the forms of communication were heavily based on images, for example the Egyptian alphabet which used letters that resembled physical beings. It’s safe to say that history has come back, because nowadays we are living in a picture-based era again. An explainer is a short, eye-catching, quintessential video that shows the most important aspects of the company. It highlights a brand’s product, service, or business idea in a compelling and efficient way. Main purpose is to help people clearly understand what the brand stands for, and attract potential customers.
Why Explainer Video?
There was a time when printing a large number of pamphlets or brochures was one of the most effective ways for promotion. However, business is alive and it’s constantly changing. Nowadays the keys to profitable advertisement are landing pages, good copywriting, and keeping up with the latest trends in the industry, which currently are – explainer videos
It’s a well known fact that visual and auditory cues are much more powerful than textual, which makes a video an effective tool as it combines both and is more time-efficient in conveying a message. Explainer videos can be used to gain a wider audience. The chances of capturing the attention of a global audience are also higher, since everything is digital nowadays, and people can easily share videos through many social media networks. Furthermore, Google and other search engines rank pages with videos higher than pages without. So, by including a video on your website you can increase chances to be easily found by internet users.
Do you know the origins of explainers?
In 2007 Common Craft created an explanatory video on how to use Twitter, which was slowly gaining popularity back then. The use of simple graphics and straightforward messages allowed the people to swiftly understand the ins and outs of the platform, resulting in millions of new users. This event became the foundation of the explainer video era. Since then, thousands of businesses big or small have understood that incorporating a short, compelling video helps to expand brand presence in the market.
Tips on creating Explainer Video:
Explainer video is a marketing tool, which means that it needs thorough planning before execution. The most important question that needs to be answered is – who is your target audience? Who are you trying to communicate with?
An explainer video follows simple three-step production process –
- Pre-production: this stage consists of scriptwriting, storyboard sketching and coming up with a concept
- Production: the creation of illustrations followed by animation process
- Post-production: the last stage where everything is edited together. Voice overs are recorded and overlaid with music or additional sound effects.
Explainer videos are short, so they need to be organized in a way that ensures viewers get the message about the value of a product. Here is a structure example that can be followed:
Alternatively when constructing an explainer video script you can:
Focus on the problem. > Reveal your product or service as the solution. > Portray how the solution works for your target audience
A good explainer video should be:
- Short in length: typically between 1 to 2 minutes. This type of video is meant to be an overview that will get people interested in taking the further steps. Remember – the longer your video is the less attention will be paid to it.
- Clear: Explainer videos should be clear about what they want the audience to get out of it. Try to convey your messages in the simplest way possible
- Focused on solution: A good explainer video should portray how a specific problem can be addressed and what results can be achieved.
- High quality: Quality explainer videos take time, make sure to pick an experienced animation studio, Never rush your designer and always trust his general creative vision
- Not too technical: Make sure to keep your explainer light, every video project has a certain data capacity. If you include too many pieces of information in a video or double them in visual and audio layers, it’s never going to be a success.
An explainer video is one of the most effective ways for creative storytelling. Companies collaborate more efficiently and produce top-notch videos that win the customer’s hearts. If you still have not tried creating an explainer video, it’s time to get started. We’ll cover everything you need to know about this video type, and help you to create explainer videos that will captivate your potential customers.